Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

JNB-CPT-JNB (with some pics)

Posted by raydon 
JNB-CPT-JNB (with some pics)
January 26, 2011 03:02PM
And here goes! The first trip report on A-D.net on an African flight

So I realized halfway through the first leg that I haven't taken much photos much because just as I got through security, boarding was already starting. Oh the photos were all taken with my phone so 'scuse the bad quality!

Here's the bird taking me to Cape Town, ZS-OTG flight BA 6407

BA has a franchise and South Africa called Comair, nothing to do with the Delta Comair, and operates regional and domestic routes in Southern Africa. They only operate 737-400s

So on the flight, I must say it was pretty good! I never quite liked BA because I think they're a bunch of selfish snobs when it comes to international flights so I was obviously a bit sceptical. But enter the cabin, wow it was great! I've only flew another domestic flight from CHC-AKL on Air NZ also on a 737 and the BA cabin is much better!

Even for a two hour flight we also got a meal. Breyani (South African Indian meal) with potato salad and a chocolate, sponsored by Woolworths, a local South African supermarket which is way better than the Woolworths in UK.

The crew was simply amazing! I salute Clara Sithole and her crew for excellent service! I've flown Cathay Pacific, Singapore Airlines and Air New Zealand and BA definitely ranks amongst the most friendliest and funniest crew! Well, for that flight at least. Clara even patted me on the cheek when I asked her for fruit cocktail saying "Sorry Honey, you know Woolies on grows the best and Fruit cocktail is just not as good as orange juice!" or something like that. Later on, I asked her for a souvenir when she just laughed at me and said "Honey, this is BA! We don't have anything, what do you want?!" obviously making a huge joke refering to how Asian airlines stock up their aircrafts with souvenirs, she did however go to Business class to fetch me a BA blanket! Thanks Clara

On the return journey, I was just amazed at how much the CPT airport has improved. Compared to JNB (that's always constructing something or where you get lost trying to find parking or drop off someone) CPT is clean and easy to get around. The new departure terminal is absolutely stunning!

Because my dad's a oneworld member, we got into the lounge and i got to go with as his guest

Obviously this does not compare to Int'l lounges but does the job with domestic flights. Besides the really grumpy ladies at reception, the lounge is pretty well done with some very smart features. Here's my favourite:

That's right, that's how every toilet should be made, with a view of the runway! I used the tiolet and got distracted by all the a/c's taking off I didn't realize how hot it was getting in there. Off to the lounge to get some munchings and some plane spotting done!

Kulula's jetsetter's plane

Some eats with planes in the background. Picture perfect!

Virgin and Singapore awaiting flights back to LHR and SIN respectively

So, 11h30 came and we were ready to board:
BA6414 on ZS-OAA

I still need to test out SAA's 737-800s, love those winglets!

Virgin Taxiing past while I wait in seat 22A

Lunch was served, cottage pie with a cold pasta salad. Unfortunately the crew on this flight were a bit more grumpy and I was too scared to go and socialize with them...

Somewhere in the middle of South Africa in air

Arriving at JNB, we parked next to this 1time DC

Overall, a pleasant domestic flight except for the return leg's crew!

So that was my trip. I fly kulula.com for the first time on Tuesday. It's a LCC so will be interesting to see what happens

Re: JNB-CPT-JNB (with some pics)
January 30, 2011 07:26AM
Wow, nice T/R from Africa; thank you for sharing! It's quite nice to have more people doing T/Rs, especially if they are not from the U.S.

Even for a two hour flight we also got a meal.
Was it good? I can't think of any domestic here that will give you a free meal on a 2 hour flight anymore. Maybe Continental, but even then, I'm not sure if they still do that, given that they were cost cutting with the catering company. Alaska used to back before 9/11, and they served turkey, roast beef, or chicken sandwiches with either a fruit or a bag of carrots, and some little thing for dessert. I always looked forward to those lunches and I miss them dearly when flying between SEA and Southern California!

The crew was simply amazing!
I love F/As like that! One gave me her 75th anniversary pin from AS.

The new departure terminal is absolutely stunning!
That hall for the ticket counters reminds me of the Tom Bradley International Terminal in LAX. Cathay Pacific's terminal in HKG is also similar.

Here's my favourite:
I love that!

Some eats with planes in the background.
Never had the opputunity to visit an airline's lounge before.

Ever flown on a 737 with winglets before?

I'll be doing another solo flight soon, as well as possibly a cross-country! Hopefully I'll be able to do a report about those later.

February 04, 2011 02:54AM

Even for a two hour flight we also got a meal.
Wow. You'd never see that on a flight over here!

Breyani (South African Indian meal) with potato salad and a chocolate
I'm not much for potato salad, but the rest of it looks really good!

Compared to JNB (that's always constructing something or where you get lost trying to find parking or drop off someone)
Sounds like what I've seen at Boston

The new departure terminal is absolutely stunning!
I'm always partial to the high ceilings and open areas. I feel like the closest I ever got to that was at Gatwick.

That's right, that's how every toilet should be made, with a view of the runway!
I don't think anyone here would disagree with you on that one. It's pretty much the perfect location.

Never flown an 800 with winglets, but it's a nice aircraft. I would say I like it better than the A320.

Lunch was served, cottage pie with a cold pasta salad
These are reasons I need to fly international.
Great report

Bluewhale
I'll be doing another solo flight soon, as well as possibly a cross-country!
East coast trip?

Patrick
Admin
Proud Member Since 2003
February 05, 2011 12:16PM

East coast trip?
That's what I thought at first before I started flying, but that's not the case. A cross country is defined as a flight where you land at an airport at least 50 miles away from your origin.

February 06, 2011 10:37PM

A cross country is defined as a flight where you land at an airport at least 50 miles away from your origin.
And now I've learned something new today.

I look forward to writing my trip report from my Daytona 500 trip in a couple weeks.

Patrick
Admin
Proud Member Since 2003
February 07, 2011 04:54PM
I actually got to fly a 738 with winglets this time, ZS-ZWO aka this way up. will post pictures once i get some time. it's quite something staying in a different country!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Home - Forum - Upload - Admin - Contact - About