Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SEA-PDX on QX, PDX-LAX on AS, 150+ Pics!

Posted by bluewhale 
SEA-PDX on QX, PDX-LAX on AS, 150+ Pics!
December 22, 2010 11:53AM
Background:
Being an aviation student in college, I was in a dorm with people who also love aviation. It is very cool being with people who share a special interest like I do, and it is also very cool to study aviation, instead of just your general school subjects. One day, I was playing pool with one of my buddies, who is also a big aviation knowledge person like me and also likes to spot, and he said that he really wanted to go take pictures of planes. I replied that we should go to LAX because of the diversity, to which he excitedly agreed. So right after we finished with our game, we went shopping for fares and found a great special: $69 base one-way to LAX and the total would be $180 if we also decided to stop in PDX and SFO. It was perfect! So a week later, the tickets were booked and the routing was SEA-PDX on QX, PDX-LAX on AS, LAX-SFO on VX, and SFO-SEA on VX. We both were so excited and we could not wait at all! We talked about this trip almost every day, and once break started, we kept chatting on Facebook trying to plan it all out.

The day started early at 5:00 AM on Tuesday, December 14th. My dad woke me up and to my surprise, I did not still feel drowsy, despite the fact that I had gone to bed around 12:30! Maybe it was because I had a lot of vivid dreams so my body felt like it had been asleep longer. But anyways, I did the morning routine and got my stuff into the car and my dad drove me to SEA at about 5:30. 15 minutes later, my dad told me to have fun and that he’d see me tomorrow. I went inside and walked by AS’s ‘Airport of the Future’ which didn’t seem that busy. I thought that this was great because it meant security would be fine. Wrong! The line for the N gates and D gates was longer than I’ve seen in a while, so I figured I would walk down the terminal to a different line. As it turns out, all the security lines going all the way down to the A and S gates, were long and overflowing. I then just decided to go back to the D gate line, but then I saw that the line going to the Pacific Marketplace was shorter so I grabbed that one. That took 20 minutes of waiting, and then I was finally next. There was a cheerful, older TSA lady checking boarding passes, so I gave her my home printed ticket and my ID after struggling to get it out. The lady then told me that it was a rule that they actually had to hold it, so that’s why they need it out of the wallet. All the lines here in SEA now have the blue closets known as the full-body scanners, but none of them were in use, thankfully. I did my thing with the bins, but I forgot about the toothpaste! It was 8 oz instead of 3 oz, and I was really kicking myself for forgetting about that! So the guy took out my toothpaste, put it through the conveyor belt in one of the trays that they put coins in, and then threw it away because I had nobody to give it to on the landside. So, it’s obviously a felony to carry a tube of toothpaste into the cabin with you!

After that, I went to my gate area, but there was still about an hour to go so I decided to keep walking around. My buddy had called me just before I was at the bins, so he was now going through security. I walked all the way down to the end of the C gates, and I found AS’s first ever B737-400:

N754AS

And this next to it:

Winglet and tail

I walked back down to the gate area, which is all of QX’s gates, C2A through C2K. On my way, I found an all-white Q400 from QX:

Wasn’t able to get the reg. of this plane, but I knew it didn’t have QX at the end of the number

Nice gate area

Gates for the PDX shuttle – MVP and MVP Golds could have a copy of the Wall Street Journal from the podium and there was a free coffee station against the wall.

Horizon Air #2121
December 14, 2010
De Havilland Canada Q400 (N410QX)
7:30AM-8:15AM
Gate: C2C
Seat: 16A
[flightaware.com]

By now, my buddy Reed had already made it through security and was now sitting and waiting. I really didn’t feel like walking the airport this morning since I walked almost the whole place last time. So I decided to just sit and talk. One funny thing to mention was an older lady came and sat down next to me (which was in the handicap section) and then one of the wheelchair guys came and asked her if she needed one. She got really offended and she retorted, “Not on your life!” She then looked at me, as I could only stare at her speechless since she was in the handicap section and the guy was just doing his job so she then thanked him for offering. Another thing worth noting was that I overheard the gate agents talking about the merger between WN and FL, saying that she heard about it, but she didn’t remember it. By now, Reed and I stood in front of the podium waiting to board, but our time to board got pushed back from 7:00 to 7:15, then from 7:15 to 7:45. The gate agent kept us updated saying first that the plane has just landed and was still taxiing due to ground traffic here in SEA, and she also made an announcement to people connecting to ONT that their plane would be held because this delay would have made them miss their connection. I think the plane came in late and they were also taking a while to clean it. By now, the 8:00 PDX flight after ours was already boarding and getting ready to leave, and we boarded around 7:50. I gave the agent my ticket and she told me that once I was in the outside hallway, that the flight was in door 5. So I walked through the Plexiglas door to the right of the above picture and followed that hallway to the right, which led to an open door out to the tarmac. Then, there were stairs which led directly down to the outside, open-air, glass hallway that had access to several different stalls for different flights.

Really bad pic of the hallway – had to keep moving since there were people behind me and lighting was poor

Door 5 was at the very end and here we were:

One of the two ‘Comfortably greener’ planes that I always see on approach to SEA when I’m golfing, and the Boise State University Q400, plus one lone CRJ-700.

N410QX – no special paint scheme today!

I really like this shot of the propeller, the Green Q400, and the rain.

I got on-board and the plane was unsurprisingly small inside. The aisle was narrow and cramped and Reed could barely stand up straight because he’s a much taller guy than me. The plane was already crowded with people sitting, and this flight would be completely full, which was a sharp contrast to when the plane only had about 20 people maximum when we booked it 3 weeks ago. I got to my seat in row 16, and my seatmate had not yet arrived. Reed was sitting in 15A, and he complained that the engine was in his way for spotting, but he wanted engine noise! I got settled in and this was the view out my window:

Big engine in the way

Since this was a Q400 and not a CRJ, I was rewarded with two good-sized windows instead of one. They were placed at a somewhat tall height, which was perfect for adults, but a little high for kids. The windows also didn’t have shades. Right now, the Q400 felt like a pretty okay plane, but I could tell that seat pitch was a mere 30 inches compared to a Boeing, and the seatback was shorter. When my seatmate came, I felt a little cramped, especially because the armrest was up when I got to my seat and I forgot to put it down, so it remained up for the whole flight. My seatmate was a business traveler, (this route caters mainly to the business traveler and made up the majority of pax) kind of a stocky guy, but he luckily put on his noise-cancelling headset right after we pushed and he fell asleep for the whole flight, so I was free to take lots of pictures and do what I wanted.

Landing gear

Flaps – from my Aircraft Systems class, I’ve learned that there are 4 different types of flaps, standard, slotted, split, and fowler, and these were fowler flaps.

At this point we started to push and the flight crew came on to apologize for the delay. The flight deck forecasted a bumpy, 35 minute flight to PDX, so it was announced that the seatbelt sign would remain on for the whole flight, there would be no inflight service, and the F/As had to stay seated for their own safety. Cruising altitude was at 15,000 feet, and I learned in ground school that altitude isn’t notated in flight levels until 18,000 feet. That’s the kind of flight this was.

CO at the B gates

Since there was so much rain, there was a lot of standing water on the tarmac, so it was a really cool experience to watch the turboprop start and spool up, blowing the water on the ground in all different directions, nearly creating a vortex on the ground.

Taxiing to runway 16L – with a lot of water on the ground

Water

Q400s are cool because you can really see how good of a job the flight deck is doing at maintaining centerline on the taxiway

This would’ve been a good shot, but I forgot to turn off the flash! But you’ll be seeing more AC E190s later winking smiley

The lineup behind us – after the AC E190 left, we were #2 for takeoff behind a CO 737.

Company Q400 – these things are actually quite low to the ground

N408QX

After holding for about 10 seconds or so, we powered down runway 16L and rotated in about 3500 feet. This takeoff was quite strong for a turboprop regional and I could definitely feel the G-forces push me back in the seat. It was stronger than the 737-800, and you can hear the dull, gentle, roar of the props.

I always see either this plane, or its sister ship, 439 on approach to SEA

Takeoff roll – luckily all the rainwater on my window blew away

Liftoff

Here are the N gates, which used to be UA’s domain with lots of 727s, 737s, 757s, A319s, A320s, and even DC-10s in the past. Now service has shrunk down to only 4 CRJ flights to LAX, mainline flights to DEN, SFO, ORD, IAD, 1 flight to NRT, and a barely surviving Express operation to PDX and GEG as opposed to their old service to Pasco, Yakima, Moses Lake, and Eugene.

One lone UA 757 with a bunch of AS 734s and 73Gs and 2 738s. There’s also an EMB-120 there as well as an AC E-190, reminiscent of the days that US was also there before the merger and this was SEA’s Star Alliance terminal.

The C and D gates – you can see a few theme planes here, including the Disneyland plane I flew last time on SEA-ONT, the Salmon-Thirty-Salmon, the alaskaair.com plane at the uppermost gate and the 50th Anniversary Disneyland 737-400 pushing from the N gates to the left of the picture.

The S, A, and B gates – DL now runs the majority of the S gates with the merger of NW and has thankfully added even more service than NW had before the merger. In the A gates there are 2 US A320s, 1 F9 A318, 1 AA MD-80, 1 AA 737-800, 2 HA 767s, and 1 FL 73G parked at the end. In the B gates, there is 1 WN 737-300, 1 WN 737-700, 2 CO 737s, and a QX Dash-8.

Bad pic – 2 DL A330s, 1 DL 757, and an A320

Really bad – only took this to show that this HA 767 had winglets and it was my first time ever seeing one in person. But little did I know that I’d be seeing much better stuff from HA later…

Engine during climb through this huge storm

Exhaust valve of the engine – view out of my rearmost window

Here’s comes the sun

Clouds

This was cool

A little bit of clearing

Cabin inflight

Apart from these shots 10 minutes after takeoff, this flight was kind of uneventful, except for turbulence here and there, sometimes getting heavy enough to make me think I was in a C-152, since C-152s are very sensitive to even the slightest turbulence and winds. Like announced earlier, there was no inflight service and we just kept flying through the high clouds for a few more minutes, until they cut the engines and we started our initial descent into PDX. At that point, the F/As asked the ONT people to raise their hand so that the cabin knew to let them get off the plane first. The ONT people were also an older couple, much like the main clientele on the SEA-ONT flight I took, apart from all the families.

McNary Lake still over southern Washington

Further south, nearing Vancouver, WA

We kept following these lakes and the Columbia River down Southern Washington and we banked left over the Columbia, which separates Washington and Oregon. We kept following it until we touched down on runway 10R.

Port of Vancouver –lots of imported cars awaiting delivery

Gear over the Columbia River and the Port of Vancouver

The 5 freeway and that runway belongs to Pearson Field in Vancouver, WA

Houses on the Washington side

Boats on the Oregon side

Slightly firm touchdown on runway 10R

We turned left off of 10R and started our way to the A gates where all of QX is. On the way there, they apologized for the delay again as we were 30 to 45 minutes late and again asked that everyone stay seated so that the ONT people could make it to their plane.

Flaps extended—learned that when a plane has flaps extended and gear down, the plane is considered ‘dirty’ but when the flaps and gear are up, the plane is considered ‘clean’.

N593AS

N592AS – this would be my ride to LAX

N523AS – the newest 737-800 of these 3

We now parked at the stand… people in front of the ONT people (mainly the business travelers) still got up and got their things before the ONT people even had a chance to stand up! But luckily, the ONT people still made it off first, but only after having to squeeze alongside all the others who were standing in the aisle, since I think the F/A in the front had to remind them and scold them.

The cool thing about traveling with a fellow aviation enthusiast is that he wanted to wait onboard the plane so that he could get a picture of the flight deck, as well as raid the other seatback pockets for loot! I happily agreed to stay on board for an extra few minutes, as I felt a little out of place doing it by myself last time. So we waited for all the other pax to leave, and they also used the aft door in addition to the front. We elected to exit out the front so that we could get the flight deck pictures, as he had never really ever been up there before. He didn’t know that they will let you in to take pictures if you asked.

This is the paint scheme that was designed by an Alaskan girl in AS’s contest for Alaskan school children to design the plane.

Flight deck of the Q400

We stayed on for a bit since he wanted to talk to the FO a little about the Q400. QX actually has a direct-hire program at CWU and 2 of 4 of our flight professors are trained on the Dash-8 with QX.

Here’s our plane – N410QX

One of several northwest college paint schemes – this one is appropriate because it’s the University of Oregon Ducks here in PDX.

So we went in the door where there was a small boarding area, and to the left were escalators that took us up to the mainline part of the airport. Here, I decided that I wanted a nose shot of the special plane N705AS.

Finally I’ve gotten close to the ‘Dog Plane’ after seeing it parked in the hanger on my last trip and seeing it briefly at the gate other times I’ve gone to SEA for non-flying reasons

I decided to walk around PDX and see what was here. I got excited when I saw this:

HA 767-300 with winglets!

And a pretty nice AS 737-800 -- I would actually see this plane later when spotting in LAX

On the other side of the concourse, was our plane parked at gate C3, N592AS which is also an ETOPS plane for flights to Hawaii

After going to the bathroom, it was now time to get a better picture of that 767! PDX has a very good observation area corridor between the C gates where AS, QX, US, and WN are, to the D gates where HA, DL and CO are. Unfortunately, PDX was a ghost town at this hour since we just missed the morning rush and it was now around 9:00.

This plane is parked close, like in PHX!

Hawaiian Chester – these leis were only supposed to be promotional, but AS has decided to just leave them since they’ve been on for at least 3 years now.

Giant tarmac

Very nice corridor that also serves as an observation area, complete with comfy benches in the middle of the area behind this photo

HA 767-300 with winglets, they’re huge in person! In other trip reports I’ve read with PDX, I’ve always wondered where the pictures like this one were taken, and now I know!

Tail and the winglet

Since we had a really limited amount of time in PDX no thanks to that stupid delay in SEA, I didn’t have time to comfortably make it to the other side of this hallway and explore the other side of the airport, so I decided to go back to the C gates and walk all the way down and back.

Mini mall in the middle of the C gates – PDX is very light, airy, has huge vaulted ceilings, and relies heavily on natural light during the day. Personally, it looked kind of like ORD, from what I have seen on a.net. The terminal felt really peaceful, modern, clean, well-designed, and heavily underutilized. I can now see why J.D. Power rated PDX as one of the best airports to connect through, and I definitely agree. It’s kind of disappointing that such a great airport has such little traffic and I hope PDX gets more traffic in the future.

The end of the C gates

Such a cool food court

By now, Reed had already sat down at a table and was eating a muffin, as he didn’t want to walk. I met him walking back to the gate, where he finished his muffin and we talked. While we were seated, we could hear fighter jets taking off and flying overhead as they went to do practices and exercises. PDX was a really cool airport, and is everything an aviation enthusiast could want now! Afterwards, we walked a few feet down to our gate and the flight was already in general boarding, which was perfect timing.

Alaska Airlines #562
December 14, 2010
Boeing 737-800 (N592AS)
9:50AM-12:07PM
Gate: C3
Seat: 22A
[flightaware.com]

Reed went first, as I had to fish out my home-printed boarding pass from my backpack. I gave it to the gate agent, and she scanned me through and told me to have a good day. I then walked down the jet way and into my first 737-800 ever, where the F/A greeted me. As I was walking back, I saw that there were a few first class seats empty, and that the Y section was not yet full. Also, unlike other AS planes, these Y seats had height-adjustable, winged headrests, but there were still two different colored seats, the taupe, and the black. I walked all the way down to row 22, where my seatmate was already in the aisle, getting the stuff she needed for the flight from her carry-on. She was a Chinese lady, and again, all throughout the flight, she slept as she listened to music from her iPhone. It was also a bright flight so she wore sunglasses for the duration, and several other rows had put down their shades so they could sleep.

View from the window

About 10 or 15 minutes later, the door was closed and we started to push. This was a real empty flight, probably about 75% full in the Y cabin. The middle seat next to me and next to Reed were both empty too. I knew that this was going to be a nice, quiet flight, and there were no little kids. The flight deck said that the weather in LAX is overcast and that it would be a short 1 hour and 55 minute flight, and that’d we’d be getting in about 10 minutes ahead of schedule.

N593AS is also another ETOPS plane; I don’t remember where this plane was headed

737 Tails

Another QX DH4 taxiing in

Flaps extended for takeoff – this was a really short taxi to runway 10L. Right after the F/As completed the safety briefing, the flight deck called for the F/As to be seated and we took off not more than a minute later.

The whole wing – that runway is 21 and I first thought we’d be using that one, since I’m not familiar with the traffic patterns here in PDX.

We turned left as if to get on runway 21

And we taxied past runway 21 – I just learned from google maps that 10L was recently extended and the way to get to the new threshold is to taxi by the threshold for 21.

Taking off onto runway 10L – takeoff was powerful enough, pushing me back only slightly. The 738 is actually a really gentle plane and is no 73G or 752.

Liftoff wasn’t rocket steep either

Gotta love the winglet!

Washington is in the upper part and Oregon is the lower part and the two are connected with Interstate 205

Giant bridge

For about 5 minutes after this bridge, it seems like we were maintaining the same altitude of about 3000 feet above surface. And then, we resumed our climb above the clouds, so I’m guessing that we were maintaining that altitude to wait for a clearing in the sky.

Above the clouds now

About 30 minutes after takeoff, the flight was quite uneventful, and I was starting to feel tired again. I made use of the winged headrests of my seat, which make excellent pillows and keep you out of the other seat and the window. These were excellent headrests because they were kind of like AA’s M80 headrests and they were big and support your head when you’re awake, and they support your head when you fall asleep. I took about 30 minute power nap, waking up just as the service cart was two rows ahead.

The lady asked me if I wanted to buy a meal, and I declined. I don’t know what they were serving, but the smell of the food did not fill the cabin like on my last AS flight, so it was not the breakfast skillets. I also heard a guy behind me reply that he did not want to buy a meal because he was going to In N Out when we landed! Those were our plans exactly! When the drink cart came, I ordered a Ginger Ale in hopes of getting the whole can automatically like on my last flight, but it didn’t happen. However, I did get a refill when they came back down the cabin.

Party mix like on my last AS flight – pretzels, Cheez-it like crackers, and corn crackers with Barbeque sauce flavor – since I only had a granola bar during our delay in SEA, and another one in PDX, this really hit the spot.

This is what’s going on outside

Another winglet shot

Cabin inflight: you can see the slightly different seats that the 737-800 has – they are much better seats than what are on the 734 and 739. The seat cushion is much more firm, less slippery, and I also feel like the cushion was larger than on the 739s. That’s Reed’s seat to the lower left hand corner and he had his headrest up all the way.

Took this with the iPhone

Ice and stratus clouds

About an hour after I got my second refill, we started our initial descent into LAX, and the F/As came and took the trash for the last time. After that, they were seated and the flight deck told us that we’d be on the ground in about 15 or 20 minutes.

San Bernardino Mountains – first indication of Southern California

Clouds and mountains

My camera likes to focus on the ice!

There go the mountains

These are cool because they have striations

More striations – it’s almost like the Grand Canyon

118 freeway in Simi Valley

Mall

Speed brakes

Over LA, North Hills area

Burbank

LA

Hollywood area

Real low quality shot of the Hollywood sign

Hollywood and LA and the sign

Downtown LA – too bad it’s cloudy

Downtown LA with clouds blocking the US bank building

Dodgers stadium

Whole wing on descent

We then kept going east for a couple more minutes then turned about 90 degrees to the right for a base leg to LAX going south. Then about 5 seconds after that, we banked another 90 degrees to the right for the final leg going to the west for landing on runway 24R.

Base leg is overcast

IFR conditions now with flaps fully extended, the flight deck was extending them quickly, one after another while in the clouds

And we gained VFR conditions right over the 405 freeway 5 miles east of LAX

Massive rental car area

More cars

There’s our hotel, the Hilton!

LAX is the only airport that I know of that has buildings and whatnot in between opposite runways

Sepulveda Blvd.

We touched down on runway 24R and reversed somewhat heavily, and we were able to slow down in a little over 3000 feet and turned off the runway at the 4000 foot marker. After we turned off, we held for another AS 734, a WN 73G, and an AA M80 to takeoff on runway 24L. A DL A330 and an AC A319 landed on 24R behind us as we were holding.

Company 737-400 holding in position on runway 24L with Terminal 1 in the background and plenty of WN!

NZ 744 and the theme building in the background

B6 is now in LAX, operating out of Terminal 3. If you carefully look in this blurry pic, you can see the very top of the Disneyland plane that I flew last time towards the left of the terminal, in between the two light posts. It had beaten us to LAX! I wanted to get a better picture of it once we were inside, but it had already left.

Full flaps and speed brakes, and QF 747s in the background – no A380s since they broke and now QF doesn’t want to send them here until 2011 even though they fixed them

Another company 734 taxiing and V Australia parked at the remote stands

Turning off the runway by the ‘4’ signs which indicate 4000 feet from the beginning of 24R

The 737-400 starting its takeoff roll flying back to SEA

Here it comes

DL A330 flaring and rounding out for touch down

It touched down about 2500 feet from the threshold – the rule of thumb is to try to touchdown within the first third of the runway, otherwise it’s better to not take any chances and do a go-around.

Operating as flight 1655 from ATL

WN 73G to SMF

We’re now in the clean configuration while waiting for the AA MD-80 to depart to DFW

Starting its roll

AC A319 from YYZ

Much better picture

Close-up

By now, the AA MD-80 had rotated and we were safe to cross 24L for gate 31B as in Bravo, as the flight deck had announced while we were in descent. The F/As came on to welcome us to LA and that the weather was about 60 degrees outside, which was way colder than what I was hoping for, and they thanked us for flying on AS, with the usual after landing speech.

NZ 744 at Terminal 2 and there’s an AM 737 behind the jet way

Virgin America A320s

FL 73G – I had thought that FL was operating in Terminal 6, but they have since moved back to Terminal 3 with the new Allegiant service.

OZ 747-400 in the new colors taxiing out of the TBIT bound for ICN -- we had to wait for this plane to leave because it was blocking

NH 773ER to NRT

QX Q400 in the Washington State University Cougars colors – WSU lost the Apple Cup to UW!

Company 737-800 and another DH4

This 73G was getting ready to push

Cougs. In Washington, there is a huge rivalry between WSU and the UW Huskies! The Cougar logo is clever, in that the back of the cougar is the W, the head is the S, and the mouth is the U.

China Eastern A340-600 in the Expo 2010 colors—these gates used to belong to Mexicana, and they were able to park 2 or 3 Airbuses in these spots

Since I go to CWU, which isn’t in the Pac-10 and doesn’t compete with UW or WSU, I’m kind of indifferent to this staunch rivalry

Another shot of this special A340-600

I hate Menzies with a passion, since AS outsourced all ground ops to them in SEA and also here in LAX. This company has caused AS’s ground incidents to skyrocket, notably with the MD-80 from SEA-BUR having a gaping hole that went unreported and caused the cabin to depressurize, to a more recent incident where a 737-900’s winglet clipped the tail of another 737 because the wing walkers weren’t doing their job. Today was no exception because this truck had just rushed underneath our fuselage, right under my row with very little ground clearance, which I thought was quite reckless.

This 73G is starting up and taxiing to runway 24L for a departure to MKE

Another B6 plane has arrived – every time I see B6 here, I instantly think of the incident when the A320 landing gear was stuck perpendicular to the plane and the news had total coverage of the plane as it burned fuel and landed.
[www.airliners.net]

At that point, we were now parked and secured at gate 31B and people were leaving. Again, Reed wanted to stay behind for a few minutes, so he could get a picture of the flight deck. How could I refuse? I never ever travel with anybody this cool! But since I got a picture of the 737NG at WN this summer, I didn’t want a picture of this flight deck, so I waited out in the jet way, which was legitimately cold, even though I was in below 0 degree weather in Ellensburg 2 weeks ago. eye rolling smiley

Head-on with N592AS

I wanted one last shot of this A340-600.

After that, I showed Reed around Terminal 3 since I’ve been in this terminal twice already. I have also been delayed significantly during those two times as, so I knew this terminal like the back of my hand, but he hasn’t been to LAX since he was about 5. But when I got to the gate where N318AS was, it had already left to my dismay, on an 11:30 flight to Puerto Vallarta.

To reflect on the QX flight, the Q400 is a really cool regional aircraft, especially if you have has never ever been on a turboprop airliner. The fact that it is a high wing aircraft and that you could see the landing gear retract and extend was very different than what I am used to. The sound of this plane onboard is also much different than a 737, and it reminded me of the turboprop plane based off the Otter in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas. I like that it has big windows and that it has two windows to every row like other planes, versus the CRJs that only have one misaligned window to every row. Again this plane does not have window shades, nor does it have reclining seats. It was very apparent that this plane only had 30 inches of pitch, and flying on of these aircraft can be unsuitable for tall people as a result. There was nothing wrong with Horizon as an airline either. However, since the Q400 was so small and I was sitting next to a larger guy without an armrest, the plane felt smaller than it actually was. This has kind of made me never ever want to board another regional aircraft as long as I live, unless I actually happen to be flying it. Since QX is part of AS, service on the ground was pretty much the same quality and I’d expect the inflight service to be the same if it the air was smooth enough for it to be done. I would happily fly QX again, especially to experience their inflight service, but only on a shorter flight like SEA-PDX.

So after that, it was on to In N Out!

Re: SEA-PDX on QX, PDX-LAX on AS, 150+ Pics!
December 23, 2010 02:02AM
I forgot to add these!:

Security area in PDX

PDX's version of the Pacific Marketplace

These were all standing in the same spot -- the security was to the right, the food court to the left, and the gates down the middle.

Spotting and the return segment will each be in its own thread since I have well over 500 pics from this trip.

December 23, 2010 06:23PM

I did not still feel drowsy, despite the fact that I had gone to bed around 12:30!
I always find it easy to wake up the morning of a flight. It's always easy when you're doing something fun

So, it’s obviously a felony to carry a tube of toothpaste into the cabin with you!
Yep. Been there, done that. They took my exploding tube of Crest Vanilla Mint in STL before I flew home back in 2008. Try taking some matches with you. They won't say a word.

the Boise State University Q400
Boise State whose next game is in the Georgia Dome

so I was free to take lots of pictures and do what I wanted.
Yeah, people look at you really funny when you take pictures and other general aviation nerdy stuff.

ere are the N gates, which used to be UA’s domain
How do you get out to the remote terminals? Is it a walkway or is there some other kind of transport?

Bad pic – 2 DL A330s, 1 DL 757, and an A320
In looking at Flight Aware, the 757 is going to ATL and it was N644DL, the 757 I flew home from ORD back in July. Not sure on the A320. The only thing I know on the A330s is that they aren't N806NW (I claim that as my A330 ] ). It was in SEA the day before you left and came back to the US via HNL.

the plane is considered ‘dirty’ but when the flaps and gear are up, the plane is considered ‘clean’.
The only reason I know that was seeing the term used for a "clean takeoff."

I happily agreed to stay on board for an extra few minutes
I would think it is better with a companion, and who can argue with staying on the plane?

And a pretty nice AS 737-800 -- I would actually see this plane later when spotting in LAX
I never noticed the ship numbers above the cockpit windows. I wish Delta would do that. ATL's views of the gate don't always have good views, and often you have to see over a larger aircraft to get a look.

HA 767-300 with winglets, they’re huge in person!
I was surprised too. Where I work I can often see flights from the north approaching and those winglets are prominent even from the ground.

Mini mall in the middle of the C gates
Looks like a very nice terminal.

Personally, it looked kind of like ORD, from what I have seen on a.net
I wish I could see this side of ORD. Delta's gates aren't anything to write home about.

The 738 is actually a really gentle plane and is no 73G or 752.
I must have had a bad experience in my one 73G flight. We took off from MKE and it was like I was driving my truck up a hill. It was really weak.

These are cool because they have striations
Bad flashback to the Physical Geography class I took a couple years ago.

Operating as flight 1655 from ATL
I've taken Delta 1655 before, but it was at 5:30 in the evening from STL on an MD-88. I wasn't aware that flight number was still around.

even though I was in below 0 degree weather in Ellensburg 2 weeks ago.
Wow....and people here are freaking out because it might snow on Christmas day. It hasn't happened here since the 1870's.

and it reminded me of the turboprop plane based off the Otter in Grand Theft Auto San Andreas
I flew on a Dash 8 once with US Airways, but it's been a very long time. Oddly enough, I'm running through GTA San Andreas again just to do it. Unfortunately Grant Theft Auto IV just doesn't do it for me.

this plane only had 30 inches of pitch

This has kind of made me never ever want to board another regional aircraft as long as I live
I had a seat on an ERJ to myself and I feel that way.

I'm looking to go somewhere on Spring Break or the start of next Summer. I was thinking of LAS since I'm 21, or SEA if I can get everywhere I want to go without a car.

Patrick
Admin
Proud Member Since 2003
December 24, 2010 03:16AM

How do you get out to the remote terminals? Is it a walkway or is there some other kind of transport?
The only way to get to there and the DL terminal is by the underground train system. The one for the UA terminal stops at both of AS's terminals and the baggage claim, while the one for the DL terminal stops at WN and CO's terminal, the terminal where F9, VX, HA, FL, and AA are, and also at the baggage claim. They are Bombardier trains and are similar to what you have in ATL. I also took this train to the DL terminal on my SEA-ONT flight last time if you want to have a look.

I never noticed the ship numbers above the cockpit windows.
Oh yes, it's something that I definitely used to take for granted when all I did was fly AS up and down the west coast, time after time. Once I started flying other airlines more, it got really hard to try to take down the tail number, especially if I was in an awkward gate like you said, or if it was a night flight.

Looks like a very nice terminal.
Yes, PDX is now on my list of favorite terminals, and others being DFW, ONT, Terminal E in IAH, and International Terminals A and G in SFO.

I must have had a bad experience in my one 73G flight. We took off from MKE and it was like I was driving my truck up a hill. It was really weak.
Unfortunately, you really did... that is not a good example of a 73G at all. I'd recommend you fly on it again to get the real experience. After all, DL bought 10 of them only because they needed their performance out of places where a 757 is too big like SNA when flying to ATL. Also, the lady I was sitting next to on my last 73G flight thought the plane was really fast and that the pilot was in a hurry, when compared to her earlier flight on a 737 classic.

Wow....and people here are freaking out because it might snow on Christmas day. It hasn't happened here since the 1870's.
Yeah, it's really cold in Ellensburg, but those were almost record lows. There is still ice/snow on the ground in places from Thanksgiving that still hadn't melted by the time I left 2 weeks ago. And when I go back to school, there's still going to be snow on the ground, even if hadn't snowed in 2 weeks.

I was thinking of LAS since I'm 21, or SEA if I can get everywhere I want to go without a car.
Both are good places. LAS is definitely very fun (a little expensive too, depending on how well you play blackjack spinning smiley sticking its tongue out) and everything you need is on the strip and within walking distance. If you came to SEA, what would you want to see? We have a light rail that will take you up to Downtown, and there's a stop somewhat close to BFI I think. And of course, we do have a bus system.

December 24, 2010 06:47AM

They are Bombardier trains and are similar to what you have in ATL.
Pretty much identical. I know they're really common, and I've seen them all over the place. San Francisco comes to mind immediately.

especially if I was in an awkward gate like you said, or if it was a night flight.
Several times I've had to ask the pilot after the flight or search ACARS for it. I've never been steered wrong either way. Now Delta has all of their tail numbers in flight aware, which makes it very easy.

I'd recommend you fly on it again to get the real experience
Gotta work on flying Airtran again. Delta doesn't have enough of them.

LAS is definitely very fun (a little expensive too, depending on how well you play blackjack spinning smiley sticking its tongue out) and everything you need is on the strip and within walking distance
I went to LAS back when I was 15. If it tells you how long ago that was, I flew out there on an Airtran A320. Definitely a great city, and still an In-N-Out to hit up

If you came to SEA, what would you want to see?
Definitely a Mariners game and the museum of flight. I'm sure I could find more stuff to do in the city like the Space Needle.

Patrick
Admin
Proud Member Since 2003
December 24, 2010 12:10PM

Gotta work on flying Airtran again.
Especially because they are being swallowed up by Southwest!

Definitely a Mariners game and the museum of flight. I'm sure I could find more stuff to do in the city like the Space Needle.
Oh yes, the light rail has a stop right at Safeco Field and there is a bus that stops right in front of the museum. Downtown is good fun, since you have Pike Place Market, and you can go up to the top of the Space Needle and have a look around. There is also an Art Museum and an Asian history museum that you could go to. If you stay within the city limits of Seattle, using the public transportation shouldn't be too bad. You can always use google for directions, like type in "SEA to Safeco Field" or "SEA to Museum of Flight" and there will be a section for directions using public transportation. Here are two of our public transportation companies:

[www.soundtransit.org]
[metro.kingcounty.gov]

December 24, 2010 04:33PM
Will have to fine tune everything. I have a long time to figure this out, so it should be easy.

Patrick
Admin
Proud Member Since 2003
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Home - Forum - Upload - Admin - Contact - About