Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

ATL-ORD-ATL on Delta (Pics & Vids) Really Long

Posted by N776AU 
ATL-ORD-ATL on Delta (Pics & Vids) Really Long
July 26, 2010 05:45AM
A random weekend trip purely for my own amusement. It's something I enjoy so much, so here we go.

I'll make this all inclusive, and start with the day before when I checked in:

Delta's online check in, and as much as I love you guys, I'm not giving you my Sky Miles number.

So now I had a whole day to wait now, and some time to kill before work, so I played Forza 3 on my Xbox:

Yes, that it the Delta logo, and yes, that is the Hartsfield Airport logo. Most of my cars have aviation-related decals on them.
Because we're in the process of rearranging our attic, I found another gem from my childhood to help me enjoy the afternoon:

Please tell I'm not the only one who played this game. I absolutely loved it when I was younger.

Come 4:00 it was time for work here:

A small grocery store chain located only in the Southeast.
I pretty much did it all that night. I stocked, unloaded the truck, cashiered, and a small amount of bookkeeping after we closed.

This is what the store looks like after closing. Still not terribly exciting. And so around 11:00 I was home, working on a maximum of 4 hours sleep if I went to bed right then, but I still had to pack and get all my ducks in a row. No matter on the loss of sleep though. I've some to find my body really doesn't need much sleep.

And so I continue my own tradition of taking a picture of my flight notebook and boarding passes the night before I fly. Why change?
I still wanted to play around before I left, so I did some of this:

NCAA Football 11

I went online and matched up someone who wanted to play as Utah. Anything is better than all the squares who want to use Ohio State

And very quickly it becomes 7-0

And also very quickly, he quit.

Ahh well. I went off to bed around 12:45 and woke back up at 3:00.

This is my magical truck that would be taking me to the airport this early Friday morning.
According to the informational radio station the South Economy lot was full, so we pulled in to the airport Park and Ride lot, which is actually a bit cheaper anyway. So we pulled in to the lot and parked at 4:38 (Don't you enjoy these specific times?)

The front of the bus and the very cool driver. No matter what kind of a day you were having at this point, she would have definitely brightened it.

We were dropped off at Delta's South Terminal and we headed in

We were able to bypass the mostly empty check-in area since we had our boarding passes, but I like the setup Delta has.

We were on flight 2012 (I wish I didn't have such shaky hands)
After establishing we were leaving from gate B2 we headed towards security and the train

Just a sign we passed along the way.

The atrium window, still dark outside.

That's what we're after.
Security was about 20 minutes, and took even longer because my brother was selected to be groped. They didn't like his belt, or his toothpaste. Yet still my matches are no threat whatsoever...
While I was waiting I grabbed some pictures:

Plaque honoring Mayor Hartsfield (these damn shaky hands...)

A look backwards at the screening area.

The concourse directory. I had to take this one fast. The TSA didn't much care for me at this point.

And so we headed down to the magical spot called the transportation hall.

The train at it's finest...and my brother kicking me in the back of the knee.

When you step out of the train, that's what you see. It is an amazing long corridor.

I guess you could say this is my favorite concourse. It houses Delta and it's a decent train ride away from the terminal.

Heading to the escalator I grabbed one picture of the next train. Actually it was two maintenance workers running a one car train manually.

And so it was up with us in to Concourse B.

Going left was the direction, but we needed some food, and we needed to kill an hour anyway.

Somehow our excursions always lead us to the Popeye's at Concourse B, and sitting in the EXACT same spot. I couldn't get any pictures this time because it was dark all the way through.
Through all this it was about:

Shortly after 6:00 by my watch, so we killed a half hour and got to gate B2 at 6:30.

Looking down Concourse B.

The gate.

The wall logo.

The sign letting us know we didn't wander off to the wrong place.

The gate area

And most importantly, N913DN, the MD-90 that will take us to ORD.
Boarding began at 6:52, and during that time I filled my time on my iPod Touch:

I don't know why this image is distorted, but it is.
I decided to pull up the coolest app I have:

A blank screen, right?

Wrong! You touch the screen. Your iPod dings, and the fasten seat belt sign turns on.

Enough of that. It's flying time!

Delta Air Lines Flight 2012
ATL-ORD
Depart ATL: 7:25 AM
Arrive ORD: 8:25 AM
McDonnell-Douglas MD-90
N913DN

We boarded in zone 4 and headed to our seats in row 17.

With the wifi.

Our row 17 from afar.

Looking forward towards the end of boarding.

Being 6'3" affords me much leg room.
The door was closed at 7:23, and due to a bit of congestion we pushed at 7:38.

The Delta tails line the landscape.

A 737-800 taxis by.
We were about number 3 or 4 for takeoff from runway 26L, behind nothing but RJs and MD-80s.

Turning out.

Takeoff from 26L. I gotta be honest, MD-90's takeoffs kinda suck. It looks from the outside like a powerful jet, but it's really not.

Looking out from takeoff, and seeing the huge Dick's distribution center.

I have no idea what airport this is. Does anyone else have any insight. It's somewhere close to ATL.

At 8:12 they began drink service. I never change. There was nothing to do now but sit back and enjoy the flight.

Looking back at the wing at our 30,000 foot cruising altitude.

My brother started screwing around on his laptop.

2005 UGA highlight video. Dawgs-14, Tech-7

And he played some Mario Kart

And some Starfox 64

And I managed to catch a glimpse of the Kentucky Speedway.

In the mean time I decided to get the in-flight internet to see what it was all about.

I listened to Neal Boortz on my WSB Radio app.

And I tracked our flight on the Flight Aware app.

And our map.

Looks like my app doesn't it?

And I listened to some music.
At 8:51 Central Time we started descending.

Crossing Lake Michigan

I had a good video of landing on runway 27L, but no hosting site wants to accept it. Can't quite figure out why.

So we landed 4 minutes ahead of schedule at 8:21, and we pulled in to gate E15

American 737-800 (Stupid Cessna getting in the way)

United A319

And so we hopped off and walked to the terminal. We didn't have to claim any bags, so we immediately headed downstairs to the maze

The CTA station was where we were headed.

Working our way down the halls.

This is what we were after.

The train.

We took the train to the Cumberland Station and headed to the Renaissance Suites where we stayed last time we were in ORD, but there was a problem. Apparently you have to be 21 to check in to this hotel
I'm only a month from being 21, but I definitely checked in to this hotel when I was 19.

Needless to say I was confused as hell. Eventually the lady at the front desk felt sorry for me, I think, and offered to cancel my reservation and rebook me at the Marriott on the other side of the train station (where the check in age was 18) without penalty. Which was good. If I had to be 21 to check in everywhere, I would have had nowhere to go, and could have only tried to fly standby on the next ATL flight.

Our room. Actually, it was an upgrade. At the Renaissance we had one king bed, but here we had two queens. Works for me.

That fiasco aside, we headed downtown, where we already had our train and Sears Tower (I refuse to call it Willis Tower) tickets in hand.

The Clark and Lake upper level station on our way to lunch and the Sears Tower.

We ate lunch at good old Giordano's. the choice of Airliners.net and me as well.

The place was hoppin' this afternoon.

Our little buzzer for our waiting was the coolest buzzer ever.

This is what we were greeted with.

After lunch it was on to the tower.

A couple of views

The Boeing headquarters

This was what we really came for, the "ledge." The only thing standing between you and the ground is a nice piece of glass.

Me walking out (despite being an acrophobic)

The look straight down.

After we went downstairs we headed to the Boeing Store.

A shot of about half the store.

Some of the models I so desperately want, but don't want to spend the $100+ on them.

What I actually did buy, a 757-300 model and a new pen for my flight notebook since the original was out of ink.

My notebook looking great with a new pen.

And so that was day 1. Day 2 was the Cardinals game at Wrigley Field.

We hopped on a train and headed to the stadium

Transferring at Jackson heading to the north.

Heading in.

Warmups

Albert Pujols on first.

Cardinals in the field.

The scoreboard in the outfield.

And so very sadly day 3 was the end.
I woke up at 4:05 and we caught our hotel shuttle to the airport, unloading our bags at 5:15.

Self check in was our first stop since we didn't have access to a printer.

Some more check in.

And so we moved on to security, which had a moderately long line.

Our departure gate was E15 so we went this way.

Gate sign

Our 757 ready to go.

Destination sign, and it was time to fly.

Delta Air Lines Flight 1477
ORD-ATL
Depart ORD: 7:00 AM
Arrive ATL: 10:03 AM
Boeing 757-200
N644DL

We were delayed boarding because the crew was late the night before, and had to get their hours in the hotel, and because of this boarding was kind of old-school, calling by row numbers. They started with 35 and up, and then 26 and up. Being in row 31, we left with 26+.

Crowded jetway

With my window view.

And a DC-9 pulled in next to us before departure.

The boarding process

And most importantly, the lovely PTV.

I've come to find that people suck at boarding. They turned this whole boarding thing in to rocket science. Maybe I'm just naive, but what I did was walk in, locate my seat, put my bag in the overhead, and sit. Seems easy right? Guess not, and as a result, we didn't push back until 7:20.

Pulling out

The United tails behind Concourse E.

Botox much? Delta's safety video isn't even really a video. It's a cartoon. I don't like it, and no, the flight attendant is not any kind of attractive.

The RJ lineup at runway 4R

A typical 757 takeoff, always a treat.

Some climb out action

And so I powered on my PTV to begin watching.

WTF? I don't know what the issue was, but everyone had problems until we hit about 20,000 feet

But at least trivia was working.

Everyone eventually left me alone in trivia, so I looked out the window for a bit.

Making a left somewhere over Central Illinois.

Finally the TV service was working, so I turned to Food Network first

And then I watched Nascar Now

Before finally settling on Sports Center.

And this row has nothing but Spongebob

I have no idea where this airport is. Indiana perhaps?

Drinks and snacks and whatnot started around 9:00 Eastern once we hit our cruising altitude of 35,000 feet.

There we go, something different.

Just a half hour later we started descending in to Atlanta.

Making a left for an arrival to the west.

A little bit of spoiler love.

Passing ATL

Finally we turned right to line up with ATL, right over Stonecrest Mall. That I-20 entrance is right along the route I take to the airport.

Another shot of the mall.

And I saw Stone Mountain as well

Landing on runway 26L. The kid in front of me didn't shutup from takeoff to touchdown. It was an ok landing. Luckily our taxi wouldn't be too long, as we were only going to A18

The United gates were really busy...

American 737-800 probably going to MIA

And one of the disgusting regional jets that ruin the aviation world.

The line up of Delta tails at the T-Gates.

United ERJ

And stepping off as plane for the last time probably for a long time.

I had a fun trip, and a great ride with Delta. I only hope my tagging is correct and my typos don't interfere with the report.

Patrick
Admin
Proud Member Since 2003
Re: ATL-ORD-ATL on Delta (Pics & Vids) Really Long
July 26, 2010 12:06PM
Wow, lots of cool additions to your report! It's a nice different perspective to see the "behind the scenes" part of the report with all of the stuff from the day before your flight. I bet you were really excited! Nice videos too, but I couldn't get your video of the MD-90 takeoff to work? You've set the bar high when I write my ONT report!

Please tell I'm not the only one who played this game. I absolutely loved it when I was younger.
That is totally one of the first PC games I have ever had! It definitely brings back memories. Whenever I went through the airport whether it be picking up my bro from BOS or flying somewhere, I would always come back and kind of pretend to "track" and retrace the steps and the things that we did, by playing that game. I also had Explore the Farm and Explore the Jungle. I think all of these old games of mine are back in my mom's old preschool classroom in CA.

my brother was selected to be groped.
Was that randomly, or did he have the SSSS on his ticket? I'm sure that if I was ever selected and the TSA looked into my folder that I take with me to put all of my "loot" in, they would put me on the "No-fly" list! grinning smiley

The train at it's finest...and my brother kicking me in the back of the knee.
That was a cool video, but sorry that your brother kicked you. I like that ATL puts flashing red lights on top of the entrance doors. Are times at stops programed into each train?

Somehow our excursions always lead us to the Popeye's at Concourse B, and sitting in the EXACT same spot.
Popeye's is great, no need to break a tradition! winking smiley

And most importantly, N913DN, the MD-90 that will take us to ORD.
I think I managed to track down all of the DL MD-90s that I took 9 years ago back when I flew to SAT. I flew on N901DA from ONT-SAT (stop-over in SLC) N914DN SAT-DFW and N907DA DFW-ONT. But that was way back in 2001 with the older interiors and the widget paint schemes.

I decided to pull up the coolest app I have
I'm definitely going to have to check out your aviation-related apps, they look great!

The Delta tails line the landscape.
Wow, more and more new colors! I like the looks of the 737-800, but I still really like the previous colors.

I have no idea what airport this is. Does anyone else have any insight. It's somewhere close to ATL.
I'll have to check on that one tomorrow, since it's already almost 2 AM! tongue sticking out smiley

In the mean time I decided to get the in-flight internet to see what it was all about.
Was it free? AS has the same internet service on their 737-800s and -900s, but they charge for it based on how long the flight is, so I'm probably not going to use it on my phone.

And I listened to some music.
I'm glad that you have the Beach Boys on there!

I'm only a month from being 21, but I definitely checked in to this hotel when I was 19.
Situations like those really get awkward. But I'm glad that they gave you a different hotel.

(I refuse to call it Willis Tower)
Can't believe that they changed the name! I too, will only call that place Sears Tower. Nice videos too! It's really cool that they have those ledges that you can walk out on, and I like the scenery.

Our little buzzer for our waiting was the coolest buzzer ever
For a second I thought that was a magnet that you bought, but that is really cool! It'd be nice if each restaurant could get a buzzer that looks like a steak or something like that to improve your appetite! That pizza looks great too! The more I see those pizzas, the more and more I want to try one!

After we went downstairs we headed to the Boeing Store.
I believe that we have one here too. It's not very far from where I live, and it is close to Renton airport. Whenever I drive down there, (most recently to check out the new Five Guys that opened up in the mall down there) I always see the tails of brand-new 737s sitting on the tarmac, and there have been a lot of CO 737s sitting there lately because of the seat problem.

Cardinals in the field.
Nice shot of the field. I actually had my highschool graduation at Safeco field and we got to walk around the outer track and the stage was set by first base.

And a DC-9 pulled in next to us before departure.
Sorry, that picture doesn't show up. But luckily that's the only one.

Guess not, and as a result, we didn't push back until 7:20.
Tsk, tsk. People sometimes! grinning smiley

And most importantly, the lovely PTV.
Do you know if that was a former Song 757?

Delta's safety video isn't even really a video. It's a cartoon. I don't like it, and no, the flight attendant is not any kind of attractive.
I once showed that to one of my friends at school and he was shocked to see the type of levity that exists in that safety video, especially when the F/A wagged her finger when she said "Smoking is not allowed on any Delta flight."

A typical 757 takeoff, always a treat.
Best part of flying! You sure had a long wait before tower cleared you guys, but then again that is ORD.

And this row has nothing but Spongebob.
Looks like the programming isn't perfectly schicronized (sp?) either, but that might be something that I would watch.

Drinks and snacks and whatnot started around 9:00 Eastern once we hit our cruising altitude of 35,000 feet.
Haha, sneaky!

That I-20 entrance is right along the route I take to the airport.
I love looking at all of the streets that we normally drive from several thousand feet up in the air on approach!

The kid in front of me didn't shutup from takeoff to touchdown.
Man, hate little kids on flights, or any other annoying people for that matter, especially when you take into account how much you paid for your plane ride, and how long you've been waiting to take it.

And one of the disgusting regional jets that ruin the aviation world.
Hopefully by the time I apply for a job at an airline after college, the regional airline bubble will have burst and working conditions are a lot less extreme. Flying on an ERJ is not bad since one side of the plane only has one seat. Still however, I think that regional jets are not real airliners like a Boeing is.

And stepping off as plane for the last time probably for a long time.
It brings a little bit of sadness every time a flying trip ends. But luckily, pretty soon aviation will be all that I associate with in college, and I get to be in a plane at least once a week! I will definitely be doing a trip report on one of those.

I only hope my tagging is correct and my typos don't interfere with the report.
The only thing wrong is the MD-90 takeoff video and the picture of the DC-9 in ORD. Besides that, everything else is perfectly fine.

July 26, 2010 06:23PM

but I couldn't get your video of the MD-90 takeoff to work?
Hmm. It's working fine for me. It's on my Youtube channel
[www.youtube.com]

I would always come back and kind of pretend to "track" and retrace the steps and the things that we did, by playing that game.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who did that either!

I also had Explore the Farm and Explore the Jungle.
I don't think I ever had the Farm, but I had the Jungle. I remember playing that anteater game. How nasty was that?

Was that randomly, or did he have the SSSS on his ticket?
I think they were going every fourth person. They were telling everyone to put their boarding passes away.

I like that ATL puts flashing red lights on top of the entrance doors. Are times at stops programed into each train?
It's some kind of automatic train control. I think it measures the distance between trains and changes the stop times accordingly. The distances between trains are hardly constant, and the same with station distances. From the T-Gates to the terminal is only about 150 feet, but from Concourse D to E seems like forever.

Was it free?
I wish. For my ipod I think it was $7. It was somewhere around $10 for a full-blown computer.

(most recently to check out the new Five Guys that opened up in the mall down there
Five Guys is (are?) great!

Sorry, that picture doesn't show up.
It didn't on Airliners.net either. I double checked and my tagging is right. Who knows with Imageshack?

Do you know if that was a former Song 757?
Yep. Actually, I think all of the PTV 757s I've flown on are ex-Song.

I once showed that to one of my friends at school and he was shocked to see the type of levity that exists in that safety video, especially when the F/A wagged her finger when she said "Smoking is not allowed on any Delta flight."
I was the first time I saw it too. If you're going to go nuts, make it like Southwest and go all the way. And the youtube video of the finger wag slowed down is a classic.

Flying on an ERJ is not bad since one side of the plane only has one seat.
I can only imagine how bad the 2 side is. I flew the single side and hated it. No room at all.

Patrick
Admin
Proud Member Since 2003

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/26/2010 06:24PM by N776AU. (view changes)
July 29, 2010 07:17AM

I can only imagine how bad the 2 side is. I flew the single side and hated it. No room at all.
The CRJs are worse of course because of the 4 across. If I was flying those flights with a stranger next to me, it would definitely feel much more cramped than it already was. I know that you would definitely not be comfortable!

Also, just a little more info on the MD-90: I believe that all 16 of the original DL MD-90s have flip down LCD monitors, since I flew on 3 different ships and they all had them and they were used. For a short flight like yours, they wouldn't show any programming, just the safety video (which was very good back then), like they did on my ONT-SLC and SAT-DFW runs. They did however show programming for SLC-SAT and DFW-ONT.

July 29, 2010 04:29PM

Also, just a little more info on the MD-90: I believe that all 16 of the original DL MD-90s have flip down LCD monitors, since I flew on 3 different ships and they all had them and they were used. For a short flight like yours, they wouldn't show any programming, just the safety video (which was very good back then), like they did on my ONT-SLC and SAT-DFW runs. They did however show programming for SLC-SAT and DFW-ONT.
That actually came up in this thread on Airliners.net too. The new ones from China won't have anything, but the old ones do. I remember when we were delayed in CVG last year we watched Casino Royale.

Patrick
Admin
Proud Member Since 2003
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Home - Forum - Upload - Admin - Contact - About