Logo

Site Related : CarDatabase.net
This is the support forum. Ask your site related questions or give your comments here.
Goto Thread: PreviousNext
Goto: Forum ListMessage ListNew TopicSearchLog In
Our new "target" - picture quality improvements
Posted by: Ikarus (IP Logged)
Date: April 13, 2010 12:06PM

I think now, in the last period of time, when Henrik gave us many new technical possibilities on the CDB website, is the moment to have a little talk about picture we upload and establish some rules. The discussion goes in two direction as I see.
One is, be aware of the possibilities of your cameras - how to take pics – without unnecessary faults, as bad angle, without objects between the camera and the car, not shooting pics against the sun, be adapted to all types of light (natural,artificial, neon etc), loosing details with too low or too high lights, shooting moving objects etc.
The other is that we all share some little tricks of picture improvements on PC editing before upload to CDB.
Most of photographers are amateurs or let`s say advanced amateurs and if we give a few steps of improvements to our pics CDB will look much better and ranking of the site will grow up.
Our uploaders, fellow photographers, cover all continents on the Earth and we receive very interesting pictures, and with an effort, everything will look much better on CDB.
In some of my future posts I`try to present some easy steps, with free or cheap software we can find and use and show how the quality goes up after couple minutes of work. Using PC editing we learn new things every day and I also had a lot of help from my friends - and I still have.
Also, I expect the other photographers to join this topic with their knowledge about this, because I never think about myself as the smartest here…maybe the oldest ……my only motive is to find, with all of us, the best for our CDB to be the leader in automotive sites on the web.

Best regards to all

Misko

Re: Our new "target" - picture quality improvements
Date: April 15, 2010 12:32PM

Before

After

Before

After

This is a result of couple minutes work. First example is how to "kill" grain-with Noise Ninja aplication. The second picture can be treated by photographer in the moment of taking it, simply by changing the light type setup on your camera. Natural-artificial-neon-etc.

As you can see two tricks and the picture is as new. And without a dollar for new editing program as Photoshop or Corel.

Regards

Misko

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 04/15/10 12:36PM by Ikarus.

Date: April 15, 2010 05:35PM

Here is another easy trick with clone tool. Nice Cadillac but the red leather between front seats needs a little help to be as nice as everything else on this car.

Before

After

Posted by: Mårten (IP Logged)
Date: April 15, 2010 06:29PM

Misko, do you know something similar tool for "Kill grain" in photoshop? My new camrea is not so great in those light conditions as seen with the Rolls there.

Date: April 15, 2010 08:19PM

When you instal NoiseNinja goes between the Photoshop existing filters on the end of the list. You activate it through option picture code.
But this is not the only option for us uploaders, it cost some $. One simple way to do picture better is to open your ACDSee, mark one picture and then by clicking Ctrl+E the "mini photoshop" is available in a second. This option is available on any ACDSee edition from the oldiest to ACDSee Pro. There you have everything, maybe not so powerfull, but everything you need, in picture improvement process. The options are
Exposure corrections
Shadow-highlights
Color setup
Red eye reduction
Sharpness
Noise reduction(we need often because of different conditions of shooting pics)
Effects
Watermark
Add text ....
When the task is finished you have only to save the improved picture with the posibilities of file compression. By that you control the picture quality for our CDB visitors wishes to have your car pictures, nice and large file, for their Desktop Wallpaper.

Regards

Misko

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 06/01/10 10:33PM by Ikarus.

Date: April 15, 2010 10:53PM

Shooting moving objects with an average camera shows problem in fast autofocus and some other parameters. In that case my advice is to predict a point where the car will go through. Like this highway and police car coming. And to use sharpness filter to get letters on the car side sharp. The result can be surprising.

Before

After

Posted by: Felipe Garcia (IP Logged)
Date: April 27, 2010 12:35AM

The problem with those ones is that it was early in the morning, shooting from a hotel room (yeah, no time to run and find a spot), and I was shooting a convoy of like 25 police vehicles

Felipe Garcia

Date: April 28, 2010 03:25PM

A little trick to improve this very atractive picture of car in action. The stick in front of the car ruins the possitive effect of this active picture. If we all can to avoid the objects in front of the cars we take pic, we have to do it. Or before upload remove it.

Before

After

Not so difficult, just use the rubber stamp tool, after a few times practice you can call youself a wizard!

Misko

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 04/28/10 03:25PM by Ikarus.

Date: June 1, 2010 10:30PM

I`am sad when I see there is no any reactions or questions about the most important thing on CDB - quality improvement. The same errors are present in upload materials. Blurness or unsharpness, objects in deep shadows without details, grain, cell-phones pics, picture horizon like "drunk sailor view" without artistic reasons... etc. The most iritating is that between low and much better quality is one little step. Let`s do something like improvement before we reach 150.000 pics.

Date: June 6, 2010 09:17PM

Dear friends, I am surprised again that topic I started with open heart about quality and improvements of our CDB was visited by about 250 and with no results or reactions. To be a screener means to know something about photography, how to find a camera limits in photographic process, angle of shooting, improvements with some tools available on the net (free to upload)….etc. But this doesn`t mean to receive mails everytime when somebody find his pic better that screener decided. We have many examples on CDB of materials prepared for upload by photographers without one single look before by author. Only use HQPhoto Resizer for automatic resize and jump to upload queue. The grain, contra light sun, burned or dark areas on pics, objects between camera and the car, ugly garbage(beds,chairs, tool cants) around the objects, cars in motion from 200 mtrs unsharp as hell, not to write about cell phone “masterpieces,” are contents which this site must reject if the target is to be better and once in future the best motorization site on the web after more that 7 years. On the aviation sites, where I upload my own airplane photos, reject rate is about 50% and this is normal for those sites uploaders. The democracy here starts to be like anarchy. Some of uploaders received my emails with friendly advices how to do things better and for some others I did it myself with photoshop (when I found the picture too interesting to be rejected because of one or two easy steps to make those better-which I did to help). Look down my friends, and say, are those pics burned and unsharp or it seems I started to be blind. I must say, my still valid medical licence for parashutist says different.

Look what one little step can do to one interesting car photo
before

after

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 06/07/10 12:24AM by Ikarus.

Posted by: Felipe Garcia (IP Logged)
Date: June 15, 2010 03:01AM

Well, the reality is that some of us, at least, I, have a pretty large backlog of photos (some dating back to 06), and editing those again might be harder (I have no idea where some of my originals are, like somewhere in Mexico), at least I'm paying more attention for the new photos.

Felipe Garcia

Date: July 12, 2010 11:54PM

Yes!Yes! This is a kind of pictures I wish to see every morning in upload queue. Absolutely perfect. Balance of contrast, no deep shadows without details, no photographer`s head and camera as shadow all over the car, no branches and shadows dominating the picture, no garbage all over, composition of picture fantastic. You can use it as cover picture of any car magazine. A+, what else to say.

Misko

Posted by: juanelo242 (IP Logged)
Date: July 13, 2010 11:08PM

The most annoying thing for me is not the bad quality of pics, it is the lack of info. For example, the same photos of these Smart cars, no info whatsoever! Just "Smart City Car". Anyone knows this is a Smart ForTwo, specially someone from UK. I can even say that the yellow one is a Passion and the brown one is a Pulse. I always want all the info possible: brand, model, trim level, year.

And i also guess that is very easy taking pics with a Nikon D40.

Date: July 15, 2010 08:45PM

You are absolutely right that picture data section should be with more details.
But we are not all Marten who is walking encyclopedia of car types. I personally wish that for myself.

But about Nikon D40 I can say that this is good but no spectacular Nikon quality 6,1 megapixel camera and cost $330 which is not a big money even in my country (not well known as golden Eldorado) . The quality of pics we talk here is in perfect color balans, composition of all picture, car posed 45 degrees to the camera, nothing arround the cars which doesn`t belong there...etc. So. as I see, the pictures we are talking about, are very good because of photographers well used camera capacities and also - limitations.

Misko

Date: August 4, 2010 09:48PM

My idea about this topic was to be a friendly advised site section to help felow photographers about little tricks to improve our photos. But almost nothing as a result. Please, look just once to your pics before upload. It is not difficult to see your own figure with the camera in hands as a shadow all over the vehicle and low sun from behind - we have that often in upload queue. Whole figure! Hands,arms and camera!

Another thing. The pictures with the same motive with camera just a few feet left or right or the vehicle very far from camera are good for top photographers names on the front page and for number of pics on the board. But this way of upload is the method to drive away our visitors and downloaders. Of course this is a criticism generally speaking because sometime the car look very very beautiful and just needs to be photographed. But this example is not about that. I received some emails from some of our site visitors about artificial raising of upload picture number on the front page list... 150 pics or more of the same car and same reg.plates is too much for them. I have 300 pics of my beautiful wife for 28 years of marriage......

We can use Marten`s way of uploading. What a treasure of various classics in front of our eyes! And no more that 2-3 pics of some fantastic classics. In the other way of upload he will have 50.000 pictures on CDB....

Misko

Edited 4 times. Last edit at 08/05/10 08:32PM by Ikarus.

Date: August 9, 2010 09:53PM

It's hard to tell when a pic is interesting or good, for example this one

CarDatabase.net:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photographer © Anik Adamali

You cant even tell what car model is but it has 4 views in 12 hours, and this Cadillac one has 3 views

CarDatabase.net:
Photographer © Mårten Carlsson

I dont understand.

And please try to find out what model is before uploading, if you cant you can ask but dont upload pics with no info. (Mitsubishi Space Star)

CarDatabase.net:
Photographer © Misko Ruvidic

Date: August 9, 2010 10:50PM

We rejected some pics of because of unsharpness or blurness and conttralight to camera, but this one looks better and interesting.

We allow to the beginers on CDB some things which are not a criteria for other "veterans". This is the site policy told by Henrik.

About missing data I have the same opinion as you but I didn`t find the type for half an hour on the net. But I was sure somebody knows that. And this is good obout the web, always there is somebody with correct data. So, when I`ll have clearance to this part of the admin page I`ll fill it. I`ve uploaded another MPV Hyundai(looks H1 but not sure) without the type few days ago, I hope somebody will see that and help. Also the problem may be with the different names and some exterior car details for Europe, Asia and America for the same car.
Also, I think that most important thing about upload, even a picture without some technical deta or type/model, is the quality. When the low quality picture(unsharp,dark,burned, to small cars etc) is granted by screener on the net, this is the end with negative result. Any kind of text, type,model etc can be always added or changed.Picture have ID and, even looks bad, is on the net forever...

PS. I have one of my pics double uploaded, but I don`t know why, because I did the upload once, and there are two same pics side by side.

Regards

Misko

Edited 3 times. Last edit at 10/10/11 08:29PM by Ikarus.

Date: August 10, 2010 05:33AM

The white Hyundai van is a Trajet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

[Home] [Forum] [News] [Sport news]
[Market] [Techspec preview] [Add photos]
[WAP] [Contact] [About] [Privacy Policy]